So I just downloaded this

View previous topic View next topic Go down

So I just downloaded this

Post by Sludge on Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:38 pm

This game is so awesome. I'm going to sum up my general experience here. I had the beta, unpatched, so I may cover things that were patched already, I don't know.

Anyways, this game is awesome. The nostalgia level is so high, and it feels pretty classic. This game is just really fun to play, and was totally worth the download. It takes me all the way back to when I first started playing Army Men games. I love the over all feel of everything (though the camera is a bit close, but I read you guys saying you were fixing that.)

There are some things that need to be fixed (obviously, as it is in Beta), so here's a list of things.

1. Within the first cutscene on the Campaign mode, a tank was practicing some Ballet. Now as impressive as that is, tanks dancing seem strangely unusual in an Army Man game. Seeing as how cutscenes seem to be done at random, this may have been a minor glitch.

2. An option to see controls should be in the pause menu, rather than in the main menu. I spent about an hour trying to figure out how to get into a Tan Jeep.

2a. Turns out, you can't get into a Tan jeep.
2b. In the originals, you can get into Tan jeeps.

3- Every now and then, the selected weapons don't show up at the bottom right. This makes telling what weapon I have and what I am switching to very difficult. This usually doesn't last long.

4. Same as above, except with enemies. As in, sometimes enemies are not outlined or stated as enemies. Now I know what you're thinking "You dingus, the enemies are color coded!", which brings me to
5. Enemies sometimes decide to have a color shift. They will become black or very dark, making them hard to pick out from the good guys.

6. A small detail, but pizza boxes are enormous in this. This may be too late to fix, but Plastic Army Men are roughly two inches tall, where as Pizza boxes are about three inches. In this game, Pizza boxes are towering, and it looks a little off.

7. Weapon inconsistencies are common in cutscenes and gameplay. I'm sure this one is being worked on already, but weapons switch between metal and plastic in mid-cutscene.

8. Don't jump into egg cartons. You get stuck, have to propel yourself with a rocket launcher quite a bit, and then you'll die the second you get out, because apparently guards are stationed around egg cartons for such an event.

9. Again, I'm sure this one is being touched up on, but in the Living Room, there is a nice Helicopter patch on the ground. The helicopters are just budding.

10. I'm not sure what the funding for this game is, but I noticed Jim Cummings is missing. It isn't an Army Men game without him.

11. Skipping cutscenes should be an ability, if possible.

12. Not something in need of fixing (in fact, this is way better in game), but this game really puts into perspective how ridiculous it is to drive a jeep and aim a gun at the same time (however, this was available on every Army Men game featuring vehicles. Plus, driving tanks and shooting are also out there, but its a game, duh!)

13. Make in world objects breakable! Boxes, barrels, everything. You could hide ammo, weapons, anything in these, so I think it is a must.

14. Jumping is a bit high, but I don't think that's much of an issue.

I'll get back with some more stuff.

Sludge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So I just downloaded this

Post by Sludge on Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:49 pm

I also want to note, the voice acting is wonderful. Sarge, especially.

Sludge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LordIheanacho on Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:02 pm

Sludge wrote:This game is so awesome. I'm going to sum up my general experience here. I had the beta, unpatched, so I may cover things that were patched already, I don't know.

Anyways, this game is awesome. The nostalgia level is so high, and it feels pretty classic. This game is just really fun to play, and was totally worth the download. It takes me all the way back to when I first started playing Army Men games. I love the over all feel of everything (though the camera is a bit close, but I read you guys saying you were fixing that.)

There are some things that need to be fixed (obviously, as it is in Beta), so here's a list of things.

1. Within the first cutscene on the Campaign mode, a tank was practicing some Ballet. Now as impressive as that is, tanks dancing seem strangely unusual in an Army Man game. Seeing as how cutscenes seem to be done at random, this may have been a minor glitch.

2. An option to see controls should be in the pause menu, rather than in the main menu. I spent about an hour trying to figure out how to get into a Tan Jeep.

2a. Turns out, you can't get into a Tan jeep.
2b. In the originals, you can get into Tan jeeps.

3- Every now and then, the selected weapons don't show up at the bottom right. This makes telling what weapon I have and what I am switching to very difficult. This usually doesn't last long.

4. Same as above, except with enemies. As in, sometimes enemies are not outlined or stated as enemies. Now I know what you're thinking "You dingus, the enemies are color coded!", which brings me to
5. Enemies sometimes decide to have a color shift. They will become black or very dark, making them hard to pick out from the good guys.

6. A small detail, but pizza boxes are enormous in this. This may be too late to fix, but Plastic Army Men are roughly two inches tall, where as Pizza boxes are about three inches. In this game, Pizza boxes are towering, and it looks a little off.

7. Weapon inconsistencies are common in cutscenes and gameplay. I'm sure this one is being worked on already, but weapons switch between metal and plastic in mid-cutscene.

8. Don't jump into egg cartons. You get stuck, have to propel yourself with a rocket launcher quite a bit, and then you'll die the second you get out, because apparently guards are stationed around egg cartons for such an event.

9. Again, I'm sure this one is being touched up on, but in the Living Room, there is a nice Helicopter patch on the ground. The helicopters are just budding.

10. I'm not sure what the funding for this game is, but I noticed Jim Cummings is missing. It isn't an Army Men game without him.

11. Skipping cutscenes should be an ability, if possible.

12. Not something in need of fixing (in fact, this is way better in game), but this game really puts into perspective how ridiculous it is to drive a jeep and aim a gun at the same time (however, this was available on every Army Men game featuring vehicles. Plus, driving tanks and shooting are also out there, but its a game, duh!)

13. Make in world objects breakable! Boxes, barrels, everything. You could hide ammo, weapons, anything in these, so I think it is a must.

14. Jumping is a bit high, but I don't think that's much of an issue.

I'll get back with some more stuff.

1. The vehicle physics glitch. The wheel suspension scale for some vehicles was inaccurate and RigidBody collision conflicted with gib physics, even small chunks. This has been fixed in the upcoming 1.2 Beta update.

2. We will remember to add that to the pause menu in the upcoming release. As for the Tan Jeep, ensure that there is not already a character inside the jeep and that the vehicle shows a white target stats indicator when aiming at it. Some vehicles are not usable in certain missions and are rather scenery. For instance, the Tan jeep parked at a repair awning area in Outpost Invasion.

3. The UI isn't exactly as fast and spot on with updating in UDK so i have heard and researched, might be wrong and I am still trying to resolve this is possible, but so far that seems to be the case. Some say it has something to do UnrealScript being 25 times slower than C++.

4. I am a little lost on what exactly do you mean of the enemies not following the outlined color coding or having color shifts. Can you post screenshots or a video demonstrating this issue?

5. See #4.

6. I figured someone would eventually speak about that. Some of them were resized higher than the average size to fit the level design structure, however I will try to find a better alternative to resolve the need of pulling these stunts.

7. Indeed it is being worked on. Supposedly we have resolved this to a higher degree by now with the upcoming update albeit a few more flaws, but hopefully the cut-scene and other issues are resolved.

8. The player was not designed to even jump on the egg cartons, but I suppose I can add a convex collision resolving this issue.

9. The vehicle spawner glitch has been out of whack somehow since our last save, especially with the save system when saving data of spawn factories. We have resolved this in the 1.2 update.

10. This is NOT a Sarge's Heroes sub-series title. Jim Cummings never worked on the Army Men series until Sarge's Heroes in 2000. This game is based around the original series (Army Men, Army Men II, etc.).

11. Which do you mean? Gameplay or FMVs? FMVs can always be skipped via escape button. Most gameplay cutscenes can be skipped (Default 'Enter')

12. Well we could make it require a gunner to use the vehicle and risk forcing the player to struggle through waves of enemies without a gunner (i.e. Halo's vehicle system) if many of you guys really want. Mind you this is singleplayer mode. Though Co-Op mode will use the Halo-style vehicle system (since the game mode requires teamwork to get very far).

13. We will look into that in the near future, though it might not be in the 1.2 update hopefully it will likely arrive at the final version release.

14. The Halo-style jumping is necessary for the game, especially real world events and eventually the mantling feature originally found in Sarge's Heroes, which will also work with the cover system that we plan to implement in the game towards the final version release.
LordIheanacho
Admin

View user profile http://armymen3.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum